In order to avoid complications related to diabetes, it is extremely crucial to control the blood sugar levels.
Exercise, stress avoidance, and making necessary dietary changes, can make a lot of difference in maintaining healthy blood levels.
- Fiber-rich foods: Soluble fiber slows the rate of carbohydrate absorption and thus improves the blood-sugar regulation. Low carb and non-starchy fiber sources, such as broccoli, leafy greens, spinach, beans, fruits, corn, peas, cereals, whole-grains, and pastas control and regulate blood-sugar levels.
- Eat throughout the day: It is advisable to keep the carbs consistent and know your carb counts and spread the food intake over the day. Always avoid fasting if you want to regulate your blood-sugar levels. And for that, you need to not skip meals.
- Eat more resistant starch: This is found in some baked beans and baked potatoes. These starches get metabolized by the good bacteria and then behave as a dietary fiber. Unripe bananas, cold pasta, corn, whole grains are some of the resistant starches that help control sugar levels.
- Shade a few pounds: Carrying extra fat causes insulin resistance, keeping the hormone that lowers blood-sugar level from working. Even if you lose 5 pounds, there is meant to be a change in your sugar levels. So go out on long walks, exercise, and stay active.
- Banish stress and relax: Stress stimulates the endocrine system in such a way that it hampers blood-sugar levels. This is because if you’re under stress, you don’t exercise and eat right and so, the stress hormones alter the blood glucose directly. Yoga and meditation helps a lot to de-stress, unwind, and relax. And this in turn controls the blood-sugar levels.
- Take natural supplements: Green tea extract, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, fenugreek seeds, garlic, avocados and nuts, blueberries, red cherries, and coffee are some of the natural food supplements that help in lowering and regulating blood-sugar levels. So, a bowl of blueberries and a pinch of cinnamon in your coffee might be an excellent way to start the day!